Official Blackout Rugby Zimbabwe Offsite

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog inBlackout Rugby

Share | 

Technique - The most important attribute.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Technique - The most important attribute.   Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:19 pm

Can you make sure when trainers ask for advice on sessions that you include 1xtechnique even for backs. This is where the Australian team can take advantage of other countries in general play.

Technique is used at every breakdown and maul (which also uses strength), now why it is most important for backs, is because this is a time where we can turn over the ball. Now the match engine usually uses a combination of players to determine if the ball is turned over or not, sometimes it's just forwards, sometimes it's just backs involved (usually after a linebreak), sometimes a combination of both.

Now the ME likes to use 3 players skills (so always 3 players make it to a breakdown), and uses the average technique of all 3 players, vs the average skill of the opposing teams 3 players. Now if we have backs with high technique, it suddenly puts us at an advantage because more often than not, we will have a high technique rating at the breakdown, and be able to turn over the ball.

This is one of the funny things in the match engine. Make sure that all trainers are also team training it, to help with quicker pops!
Back to top Go down
markharrison
Admin
Admin

Team Name : Chinhoyi Rhinos

PostSubject: Re: Technique - The most important attribute.   Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:47 am

Thanks for the tip Lman, it is really useful to get some insight into how the ME works. I will be advising all U20's of this when training plans are being put together.
Back to top Go down
Flintoff
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Technique - The most important attribute.   Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:33 am

great to see you training the Zim talent Iman. It is great to have some advice on how tech works. I have seen a few very prominent managers extolling the virtues of Tech for all and they advocate tech as a definite team training session without a thought.

As an aside - and I ask purely out of curiosity - you seem very sure how technique works in these situations: How/where did you find out about these nuggets? Do you have any more?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Technique - The most important attribute.   Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:05 am

Flintoff wrote:
As an aside - and I ask purely out of curiosity - you seem very sure how technique works in these situations: How/where did you find out about these nuggets? Do you have any more?

A few seasons ago DogsOfWar (now defunct) was invited to the ME review. He shared a few of his findings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Technique - The most important attribute.   Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:11 am

Also, another thing that isn't in there. The ME uses 3 players, and by default the opposite number on the other team attends the breakdown. So say your 11, 14 and 15 attend the breakdown, so will the opposition 11, 14 and 15. It averages out the tech of each of the 3 players attending the breakdown (on each team) and whichever team has the highest tech has a much higher chance of winning the ball. That is part of the reason why tech is so important for backs.
Back to top Go down
Mattt
Admin
Admin

Team Name : Old But Gold

PostSubject: Re: Technique - The most important attribute.   Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:55 pm

lman55 wrote:
Also, another thing that isn't in there. The ME uses 3 players, and by default the opposite number on the other team attends the breakdown. So say your 11, 14 and 15 attend the breakdown, so will the opposition 11, 14 and 15. It averages out the tech of each of the 3 players attending the breakdown (on each team) and whichever team has the highest tech has a much higher chance of winning the ball. That is part of the reason why tech is so important for backs.

Wow.
Shocked

I always had it as a nice little thing to have, rather than something so crucial in the backs. No idea the ME was so rigid like this

Still the majority breakdowns I am guessing are attended by the back row, rather than pot luck? Would be nice to get some percentages on positions that attend them Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Technique - The most important attribute.   Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:31 pm

Mattt wrote:
Still the majority breakdowns I am guessing are attended by the back row, rather than pot luck? Would be nice to get some percentages on positions that attend them Laughing

It would probably depend on what tactics the attacking team was playing. E.g. If Team A is playing a very expansive style of game, it is more likely that Team B will have to make tackles in the back line. And the closest 3 players to the tackle on (not sure which team, scratch ) will attend the break down, so will will the opposite numbers of these three players. In this case they will most likely be backs (as they are defending in the back line). The opposite happens when the attacking team is playing a PnG style of game.

Not sure if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Flintoff
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Technique - The most important attribute.   Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:03 pm

It is really interesting stuff. It does raise a question though. If your players attending the ruck are specified by the opposition (defenders) - then speed seems to be superfluous. Likewise if you have a very speedy backrow and are defending then you will 'pull' the opposition backrow to the breakdown. Not sure I have fully grasped this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technique - The most important attribute.   

Back to top Go down

Technique - The most important attribute.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1