Possible British & Irish Lions XV's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
markharrison
Admin
Admin

Team Name : Chinhoyi Rhinos

PostSubject: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Just thought that I would start a little bit of debate as to who we see starting for the B&I Lions against Australia next year. So this is my XV:

1. Jenkins
2. Best
3. Jones
4. Gray
5. O'Connell (capt)
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Morgan
9. Phillips
10. Farrell
11. North
12. Tuilagi
13. Davies
14. Bowe
15. Halfpenny (k)

16. Corbisiero
17. Rees
18. Evans
19. Croft
20. Sexton
21. Roberts
22. Foden

I am sure that most of you will diagree with a lot of my choices. Looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks.
Back to top Go down
Mattt
Admin
Admin

Team Name : Old But Gold

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:16 pm

With Gatland being offered the job, you kinda know how they will play. He takes his style everywhere he goes. So some people are going to be mighty peed off.

I would be very very shocked if Priestland was omitted. He will start. Why would you start Farrell when you have 1/p kicking. I think Farrell will be bench

Centres are interesting. Tuilagi might struggle under Gats. I would like to see him in a Welsh backline such is his raw talent,. Also JD2 is nailed on for me, however I think Gatland will drop JD2 over Roberts if he does decide to drop eithe with that in mind Tuilagi will bench.

In all honesty he is on a hiding to nothing, I wish they didn't pick him as coach What a Face

Falatau vs Morgan will be fun. Heaslip is miles off it and Denton will probably tour, I am not completely sold on him but he could take the jersey on the tour. I would be very shocked if he picks Morgan over Toby F though. He is a bit of a show pony, though very very good.

I also think it is a straight fight between Murray and Phillips. Murray could get the jersey. We are a little weak at 9 atm. I reckon Blair could come into it.

No arguments with the back 3 and front row. I would be happy with the centres and back row, though not my first choice.

1 Jenkins
2 Rees
3 Jones
4 Charteris
5 O'Connel
6 Lydiate
7 Warburton (C)
8 Toby F.

9 Phillips
10 Priestland
11 North!
12 Roberts
13. JD2
14. Bowe
15. 1/2p

If Wales go and perform or win in AUS this year you might as well call it off Razz
Back to top Go down
markharrison
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Just because the Lions play in Red does not mean that they are about to change their name to Wales Matt Razz

Think you may have had your leek-tinted glasses on when you were putting that side together.
Back to top Go down
richardskd

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:12 pm

I think Deans and Co will take them to the cleaners down under. Wouldn't surprise me if Australia win 3-0. Gatland has done wonders for the welsh over a long period. Not sure if he can manage that with the lions while on tour. Be a good series but honestly can not see the lions winning it. afro
Back to top Go down
muzza
Veteran
Veteran

Team Name : Reading Royals

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:24 am

I'm not convinced about Best at hooker, although I'm not sold on any of the current hookers out there.

Think Faletau will start ahead of Morgan as well.

Definately would go with Farrell over Priestland

And I wouldn't have Bowe in the team, he plays like his hands are covered in oil.
Back to top Go down
Mattt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:36 am

muzza wrote:

Think Faletau will start ahead of Morgan as well.

Mark is going to go nuts!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Flintoff
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:08 am

there are a couple of areas where a lions team would be threadbare - hooker, scrum half and to be honest fly half too.

Props are a huge strength, and the Welsh lads are world class. The battle at the Millenium next year could be a starting XV audition.

Locks. O'Connell, is great, if you want to play a slow, strength based plodding game. I hope to God that he is not the lions captain. Gray/Lawes/Evans/AWJ are all better players for a more flowing game plan.

6. A huge strength. Every team has fat destroyer. Be that Lydiate, Ferris, O'brian, Wood, Croft. Any of them could force their way in. I hope it will be game-plan dependent.

7. Warburton vs Pocock will be where the series is won or lost.

8. Morgan maybe a one-trick pony. But that is some trick and with a lot of the Welsh backline running in support, there are will not be many better at heads-up yards and then off-loading. Half the backline will know him from Llanelli anyway.

9. Phillips by default. A whipper-snapper could well get in here.

10. Priestland/farrell/Sexton, are only just above average flyhalfs. the extra season's experience will serve the them well but the pragmatism of Farrell would get my vote.

11-15, All Wales with Tuilagi mentioned. I would play him at 12 with Davies at 13 and Roberts (if fully fit) impacting off the bench. That would depress the hell out of the Aussies.
Back to top Go down
Safe Hands
Veteran
Veteran

Team Name : Koodoo Rand Diamond Geezers

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 am

Personally I'd go with Owen Farrell ahead of Priestland but then I'm biased as I am kinda related to him
Back to top Go down
fatman
Veteran
Veteran

Team Name : Chiredzi Hippos

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Safe Hands wrote:
Personally I'd go with Owen Farrell ahead of Priestland but then I'm biased as I am kinda related to him

Stalking him doesn't count SH Wink
Back to top Go down
muzza
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:33 pm

Safe Hands wrote:

Your first name isn't Andy is it......................??
Back to top Go down
seanand
Veteran
Veteran

Team Name : newcastle west

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 pm

muzza wrote:
Safe Hands wrote:

i think that be more than kinda related to him. SHs cousin prob has a dog thats from the same bitch that owens 2nd cousin has
Back to top Go down
magicoctopus

Team Name : Little Lion Men

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:29 am

seanand wrote:
muzza wrote:
Safe Hands wrote:

i think that be more than kinda related to him. SHs cousin prob has a dog thats from the same bitch that owens 2nd cousin has

that sounds like an american claiming to be irish. "my great grandads brother was married to a woman that owned a dog that chased a cat into a fish bowl..the fish in that bowl did a poo and that poo then floated down the bowl onto a pebble that came from Ireland...That makes me Irish!"

When I was in the states I was talking to a couple of locals and they believed these 2 "white" lies

1. the leprechauns in ireland have turned bad...they now own brothels, bookies (thats how they launder money) and are heavily involved in human trafficking. I told them they are easily identifiable, not by their height, but by their fur coats and gold canes. Basically they are now glorified pimps.
They replied..."ah man no, thats horrible..they used to be such good little guys..how did that happen, where and when did it go wrong?" Razz

2. I was talking to another randomer...she asked me where i was from...i told her dublin, ireland. she asked me "is that texas?"...I knew i was onto a winner and it was going to be fun. she then asked if we have credit cards in ireland...i said "no, we live in wattle and daub huts, we get around by horse..its very old school but its kinda cool. The airport is crazy to us irish..sheets of metal flying through the air...your glorious country feels like an alien futuristic place. But if you ever want to meet up with me in ireland, when you come out of the airport, turn left on the road and im the first house on the left..i might be able to pick you up on my horse." she said "cool!! so i just arrive and turn left and your house is right there!" I replied "yeeeep"

moral of stories...USAmericans dont really get sarcasm. at first i thought they were playing along with the joke...but no...they really werent

sorry lads..went off on a tangent there
Back to top Go down
Safe Hands
Veteran
Veteran

Team Name : Koodoo Rand Diamond Geezers

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:44 am

muzza wrote:
Safe Hands wrote:

Andy Farrell is my Grandad's second cousin I think so a bit tenuous and I've never met either of them
Back to top Go down
Droos

Team Name : South African Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:35 pm

Here are my thoughts as a Southern Hemispherical spectator:

1. Jenkins
2. Best
3. Healy
4. Gray
5. Ian Evans
6. O'Brien
7. Warburton (C)
8. Denton / Morgan
9. Phillips
10. Farrell
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Earls
14. Bowe
15. Halfpenny (k)

16. Rees
17. Jones
18. Wyn Jones
19. Ferris
20. Youngs
21. Sexton
22. Tuilagi

Back to top Go down
muzza
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 am

muzza wrote:

1. Jenkins
2. Best
3. Jones
4. Gray
5. O'Connell (capt)
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Farrell
11. North
12. Tuilagi
13. Davies
14. Ashton
15. Halfpenny (k)

Just reviving this thread, ahead of the 6N which will ultimately decide the squad, and boy does a lot of that side look wrong now!

Most of the Welsh boys in that side have spent a long time out injured/out of favour. And I think Dan Cole deserves a place on current form.
Back to top Go down
Mattt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 am

Who's going to captain it then?

I think it will be a tour captain. There just isn't anone guranteed a test place who fits the criteria at the moment
Back to top Go down
Mbax
Admin
Admin

Team Name : The Golden Company

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:05 am

As a southern hemisphere spectator based in the NH (work that one out Razz ) my team (plus reasoning) , looking at who's on form not past glory

1. Jenkins ......- Fine loosie , doesnt usually put a step wrong
2. Best...........- Reliable hooker,minus that shabby lineout work today
3. Cole...........-Very good tighthead, will be a menace by the time he reaches 28
4. Gray..........-Been at the forefront of the Scottish revival , immense talent
5. Hamilton....- Him and Gray today showed they are THE lineout force to be recoked with in World Rugby now that the Legendary Victor and Bakkies combo has retired
6. Robshaw....-Good leader, decent player does the basics well and always a nuinsance
7. O'Brien......-Destructive with the ball and equally distructive without it on the ground
8. Heaslip.......- Solid attacking force and solid defending , together with O'Brien
9. Laidlaw.......-Cool Calm Consistent ,reliable kicker and not prone to mistakes
10. Farrell.......- Good youngster reliable with the boot , although will need to vary his attack versus the aussies
11. North........- Stopping him is akin to stopping a freight train coming head on . Difficult.
12. Tuilagi......- The most important player on the pitch. If he manages to batter holes in the Aussie midfield its gna be a long series for them .
13. Davies.....- Not my favourite player but he's always there at the right time and usualy brings a try with him
14. Earls /Cuthbert.....- Cant pick between the two , on one hand Cuthbert is a try scoring machine , very big very powerful but Earls is highly elusive, a trait that could prove useful against the aussie back three
15. Hogg......- Finally the best fullback in the UK & IRe at the moment imo . Halfpenny may be a good kicker but he's shown more than once , that his size counts against him. Hogg on the other hand is a fearless defender and Scotlands best attacker at the moment

Mattt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:15 pm

the world is too fickle to name a Lions team. The likes of Jim Hamilton have had a long career and have been nothing short of gash in 99% of those games. He doesn't suddenly become Victor Matfield after one win vs an Irish second XV

Squad as I see it, if I get 50% when he names it I'll be happy!

Props - Jenkins, Healy, Corbisiero/Grant, Cole, Jones, Cross - Will Corbs be fit, I think Grant is doing well but to be honest he might take 4 as behind the top 2 for each position there is a big drop in quality

Hookers - Best, Youngs, Hibbard

Locks - Launchbery, Parling, AWJ, Evans, Hindes

Back Row - Ryan Jones, Robshaw, Faletau, Beattie, SOB, Warbs - Brownmight go instead of Warburton I'd also take Wood as well but I can't see Gatland going with him over, we all know what he is like and I think he will miss out for the same reason Tipuric will

9's - Phillips, Laidlaw, Youngs - If Care gets some game time he might go. I'd take him over Phillips but Gatland will not leave Phillips out

10's - Farrell and Sexton - Easy peasy, but not a lot of confidence

Centres - Tuilagi, Barrett, JD2, Roberts, BOD

Wingers - North!, Cuthbert, Brown, Visser, Bowe will go if he gets back

Fullbacks - 1/2p and Hogg

There are a couple of spaces left, I think he will take 38 not 36 and I also think there will be 2/3 real left field selections. Someone like Burns, Eli Walker or Chris Henry
Back to top Go down
Flintoff
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:51 pm

So long as Ashton does not go (he needs shooting with his own shite atm) and Gatland is able to consider non-Welsh players we will be up for an amazing tour.

I woud love to say that i know the other 6N teams inside out, but I do not. From and England perspective

certs (and favourites to start XV): Tuilagi, Farrell, Youngs (B), Robshaw, Parling, Cole
should tour: Barritt, Care, Wood, Launchbury, Youngs T, Corbs (if fit)
outside chance: Brown, Morgan, Wilkinson (if injuries), Haskell, Hartley
Long shot: Sheridan, Wade

No hopers: Marler, Lawes (/cry), Flood, Twelvetrees, Ashton, Foden, other converted SH chaps.
Back to top Go down
Flintoff
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Having thought about it on my cycles to and from work:

British Lions squad

Certainly things are hotting up and the pre 6N assumptions (that Ireland would actually be good, Scotland would be worse than shit) have been proven false (Scotland are merely nearly shit) and so there is an understandable sway in the proportion of the representative nations.

If they take a squad of 36

One would have thought the make up would be:

5 props
3 hookers
4 second row
7 backrow

3 scrum halves
3 fly halves
4 centres
4 wingers
2 full backs
1 utility

Prop certs: Cole, Healy, A Jones
Probable: Jenkins, Cross
Outside chance: Sheridan, Corbs, Murray

Hooker certs: Best
Probable: Youngs, Hibbard
Outside chance: Ford

2nd Row certs: Gray, Parling, Lunchmoney
Probable: Evans, Hamilton
Dear God not anyone O’

Backrow certs: Robshaw, Sean O Brien, Toby F
Probables: Warbs, Wood, Lydiate, Morgan, Heaslip
Outside Chance: Brown, Tipuric

Scrum Half certs: Youngs,
Probables: Care, Slow Welsh fatty, Laidlaw

Fly Halves certs: Farrell, Sexton
Probables: Wilkinson
Outside chance: Flood

Centres certs: BOD, Roberts, Tuilagi
Probables: Barritt, JD
Dear God no: Earls

Wing certs: North
Probables: Cuthbert, Visser, Brown
Outside chance: Strettle, Wade
Dear God not fuckwit Ashton

Full Back Certs: Kearney, 1/2 P, Hogg,

If the team were picked tomorrow it should be:
15. Hogg
14. 1/2P
13. BOD
12. Tuilagi
11. North
10. Farrell
9. Youngs
8. Toby
7. O’Brien
6. Robshaw
5. Lunchmoney
4. Gray
3. Cole
2. Best
1. Healy
Back to top Go down
seanand
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:59 pm

team looks good, apart from positional change swap robshaw to 7 and obrien to 6. also i reckon laidlaws a cert just because he covers scrumhalf and outhalf. i think the irish will have the least with scotland and wales and england making up most the team.
Back to top Go down
Flintoff
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:02 pm

I see what you mean about Laidlaw, Youngs is definitely going and I think you could argue it will be 2 from 3 on the others. The other 2 (Care and Phillips) are better 9s but Laidlaw does offer an option of an average 10 Razz
Back to top Go down
seanand
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:54 pm

Flintoff wrote:
I see what you mean about Laidlaw, Youngs is definitely going and I think you could argue it will be 2 from 3 on the others. The other 2 (Care and Phillips) are better 9s but Laidlaw does offer an option of an average 10 Razz
well an average 10 will be starting so might as well bring one to cover too. i dont like the squad you wrote out not because its wrong but because all i can happening is we play up the jumper stuff and win byt penalties which would be shit for the lions in future. why am i saying that is because we have no big linebreakers/openplay genius and 7-8 kickers going
Back to top Go down
markharrison
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Had a look at the squads posted so far and have come up with one of my own (same format as Flint's).

Prop certs: Cole, Healy, A Jones, Jenkins
Probable: Ross
Outside chance: Murray

Hooker certs: Best
Probable: Youngs, Ford
Outside chance: Hartley, Hibbard

2nd Row certs: Gray, Parling, Launchbury
Probable: Evans
Outside chance: Hamilton, Ryan

Backrow certs: Robshaw, S. O’Brien, Faletau
Probables: Warburton, Wood, Morgan, Heaslip
Outside Chance: Lydiate (fitness), Croft, R. Jones

Scrum Half certs: Youngs, Phillips
Probables: Care
Outside chance: Laidlaw

Fly Halves certs: Farrell, Sexton
Probables: Flood
Outside chance: Biggar

Centres certs: BOD, Roberts, Tuilagi
Probables: Davies
Outside chance: Lamont, S. Williams, Marshall

Wing certs: North, Cuthbert
Probables: Visser, Ashton
Outside chance: Bowe (if fit), Wade

Full Back certs: Halfpenny, Hogg,
Probables: Kearney
Outside chance: Brown

Not too many outside the box choices, though I am sure Gatland will surprise us with at least one we haven't mentioned here.
Back to top Go down
Mattt
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Every side with Gatland at the helm plays the same. Players will be picked to fit into his systems and the Lions will play like Wales, maybe a surprise or two due to personnel available that Wales don't offer, but same structures and ethos for sure. This is why some selections might come as a shock. Flint might get one with AWJ oh will definitely tour
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible British & Irish Lions XV's   

Back to top Go down

Possible British & Irish Lions XV's
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1